A book for the medical and paramedical professions, patients and those interested in travelling and understanding more of western culture.
Hippocrates, the “Father of Medicine”, lived in the same period (5. century BC) as Bian Que, the “Founder of Chinese Medicine”. There are similarities between the clinical practice of the two great ancient masters. With his detailed recordings of astute clinical observations and introducing the concept of “prognosis”, Hippocrates laid the rational basis for Western medicine. The Hippocratic Oath is a code of medical ethics and symbol of an ideal associated with his name.
The beautiful Greek island of Kos, where he was born and worked, is an attractive destination for present-day travellers. This book is more than just a travel guide. The introduction to Hippocrates, the Greek philosophers and the fascinating world of classical mythology adds to the understanding of the cultural background.
- Greece revisited
- 1) Blue and white, the colours of Greece
- 2) Eastern Orthodox Christianity
- 3) The Greek islands: Jewels in the sea
- 4) Kos, the island of Hippocrates
- 5) “the Father of Medicine”
- 6) The Hippocratic Oath
- 7) Asclepius and the ancient treatment temples
- 8) Kos town on eastern coast
- 9) Northern coast and luxury resort
- 10) Kefalos Peninsula in the southwest
- 11)The volcanic island Nisyros
- 12) Central area with Mt. Dikaios
- 13) The Greek philosophers
- 14) Greek mythology and classical literature