This book chronicles the experience and spiritual journey of a mother of an autistic child, uncovering the myriad of difficulties that face autistic children and their parents. Told from the perspective of the mother, the book shows how, in fighting for the rights and best possible opportunities for the autistic child, the mother has turned a curse into a blessing.
The book will have resonance for parents of children with autism and other learning difficulties. It demonstrates that however difficult it is to bring up children with special needs, these difficulties are not insurmountable.
The book addresses issues beyond autism and motherhood, such as discrimination, opportunities and participation, purpose in life, etc. Therefore the readership is not confined to parents of autistic children. The book will provide good food for thought for anyone with an interest in people and life in general.
While there are books authored by parents of autistic children, they are mostly published overseas. The majority of these books aim at providing parents with tips on how to parent autistic children. Locally, there are a few books about the experience of parents of children with special needs but they are all written in Chinese.
The book is written in an accessible style and can easily appeal to the general reader.
Note: if you cannot read chinese but wish to purchase this book, please purchase it from yesasia.com or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
"This is a personal journey of an unrelenting and loving mother who refused to surrender to fate … I saw myself reflected in many places in this book. I'm sure you will, too."
Dr Fernando Cheung Chiu Hung 張超雄博士
"This is ultimately a story of Hong Kong - studying hard, working hard, raising a family with a child with special needs, farewell to the colonial era, emigration, life in a foreign land and eventual return to the motherland. Icy and her son Tony emerge from this background in triumph."
Dr Louis Shih Tai Cho, JP 史泰祖醫生太平紳士
"… Icy did not allow herself to become a victim of fate. Instead she was able to rise above the difficulties in her life, turn them into a training ground, and witness the growth of her child as well as her own accomplishments as an educator."
Dr Kathy Lee Yuet Sheung 李月裳博士
"This is a story about how a life, cursed with the label autism, transformed from a little wild dog into an angel."
Ms Yolanda Wong 黃嚴麗慈女士
"Her book is about a road less traveled, a journey of discovery of what parenthood is and that an autistic child can be a gift from God."
Reverend Sek-wai Lo 羅錫為牧師
- Dr Fernando Cheung Chiu Ho 張超雄博士 vi
- Dr Louis Shih Tai Cho, JP 史泰祖醫生太平紳士 vii
- Dr Kathy Lee Yuet Sheung 李月裳博士 viii
- Ms Yolanda Wong 黃嚴麗慈女士 x
- Reverend Sek-wai Lo 羅錫為牧師 xii
- AUTHOR'S INTRODUCTION xiii
- CHAPTER 1 Tony started kindergarten 17
- CHAPTER 2 Is Tony normal? 19
- CHAPTER 3 Tony has autistic features 22
- CHAPTER 4 Tony is autistic 24
- CHAPTER 5 Early intervention 27
- CHAPTER 6 To work or not to work 30
- CHAPTER 7 Tony's schooling 32
- CHAPTER 8 What a naughty boy! 35
- CHAPTER 9 Autism and alternative therapies 38
- CHAPTER 10 Tony's intelligence 41
- CHAPTER 11 Seeking a better world for Tony 44
- CHAPTER 12 I never thought I would do a PhD 46
- CHAPTER 13 What a different world! 48
- CHAPTER 14 Incredible news 50
- CHAPTER 15 Was it a right choice? 52
- CHAPTER 16 What is the best treatment for autism? 54
- CHAPTER 17 Gareth is a miracle 56
- CHAPTER 18 Should we return to Hong Kong? 59
- CHAPTER 19 Our summer visit to Hong Kong in 2000 61
- CHAPTER 20 Another miracle 64
- CHAPTER 21 Tony's home programme 67
- CHAPTER 22 Tony's talents 69
- CHAPTER 23 Tony had a traffic accident 73
- CHAPTER 24 Tony hurt his leg, so did I 77
- CHAPTER 25 Being an advocate 80
- CHAPTER 26 Parents' campaign 85
- CHAPTER 27 What is "excellent" education for SEN students? 89
- CHAPTER 28 Discrimination 92
- CHAPTER 29 Speaking up for Tony 95
- CHAPTER 30 Helping other SEN kids 97
- CHAPTER 31 It's not fair 100
- CHAPTER 32 Gareth's love for Tony 103
- CHAPTER 33 What a nuisance! 106
- CHAPTER 34 The strides Tony has made 109
- CHAPTER 35 Tennis with Tony 113
- CHAPTER 36 Tony's cooking competition 116
- CHAPTER 37 Tony's achievements 118
- CHAPTER 38 Tony enters into adulthood 120
- CHAPTER 39 Tony goes to "university" 123
- CHAPTER 40 Does Tony love me? 125
- CHAPTER 41 I once said: I won't be happy for the rest of my life 128
- CHAPTER 42 Purpose of life 131
- CHAPTER 43 I was chosen by God 135
- CHAPTER 44 Hurdle race 137
- CHAPTER 45 Abundant blessings 140
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR 143